Churches(Page 1 of 8)
Christianity was introduced to Kerala by St. Thomas, one of the apostles of Jesus Christ, in the first century AD. Since then, the state has developed a rich heritage of churches that reflect a unique blend of European and Indian architectural styles. Here are some key highlights of the history of churches in Kerala:
Arrival of Christianity: Christianity was first introduced to Kerala by St. Thomas in 52 AD. He is believed to have landed in the port town of Muziris, which is now known as Kodungallur. St. Thomas is credited with founding several churches in Kerala, including the St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church in Palayur, which is believed to be one of the oldest Christian churches in India.
European influence on church architecture: The Portuguese, Dutch, and British colonizers who arrived in Kerala in the 15th and 16th centuries brought with them their own architectural styles, which influenced the design of many churches in the state. The resulting blend of European and Indian architectural styles can be seen in many of Kerala's churches.
Syncretic practices: Kerala has a rich tradition of syncretic practices, where different religious beliefs and customs are blended together. This is particularly true in the case of Christianity in Kerala, where local customs and traditions have been integrated into Christian practices. For example, the lighting of lamps, which is a common practice in Hinduism, is also observed in many Christian churches in Kerala.
Importance of church festivals: Church festivals are an important part of Kerala's cultural and religious traditions, and are celebrated with great enthusiasm. These festivals often involve elaborate processions, music and dance performances, and other rituals.
Preservation and restoration efforts: Over the years, many of Kerala's churches have fallen into disrepair, due to neglect and lack of funds for restoration. However, in recent years, there has been a renewed interest in preserving and restoring these important cultural and religious landmarks.
The history of churches in Kerala reflects the state's rich cultural heritage and the unique blend of European and Indian influences that have shaped the state's religious traditions. The people of Kerala continue to celebrate and preserve their church heritage to this day.
Churches of Kerala, Websites and Brief Details are available here. All the main churches like Manarcad St.Mary's Church, Kottayam, Parumala Church, Santa Cruz Basilica, Fort Kochi etc are listed here.
- CMI Devamatha Province Church, Thrissur : CMI Devamatha Province with its head quarters in Thrissur, Kerala, is one of the main administrative units of CMI religious congregation.
- St Mary's Forane Church, Kanjoor : St Mary's Forane Church is at Kanjoor, far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife, but within arms distance from virgin green fields of a village with all its inherent virtues.
- St.Antony's Shrine, Kaloor, Cochin : One of the famous religious centers in Kerala, St Antony's Shrine is situated at Kaloor, a teeming residential area in Ernakulam District. It is under the control of Archdiocese of Veraploy, the head of the Latin Hierarchy of Kerala.
- St. Mary's Forane (Martha Mariam) Church, Kuravilangad : Martha Mariam Church belongs to the diocese of Palai.
- St.Mary's church, Kudamaloor, Kottayam : St.Mary's church Kudamaloor is one of the ancient churches of the Syro-Malabar Rite and a famous Marian pilgrim center.
- Mar Thoma Cheria pally, Kothamangalam : Mar Thoma Cheria pally, Kothamangalam is the most prominent parishes in India. It is one of the richest churches of India run by democratic lines.
- Kalkkunnel Mor Geevarghese Sahado church, Kottappady : It was in the year 1908, the Jacobite Syrian Christian congregation started a worshipping centre here for the first time.
- Church of Our Lady of Hope, Vypeen, Ernakulam : The Holy Mother is the anchor of the island which was a ship building centre of old rigged sailing vessels.
- St.Mary's Church, Thurithiply, Perumbavoor : Holy Church Thuruthiply Valiapally has been famous for years
- C.S.I Christ Church, Trivandrum : The CSI Christ Church is one of the oldest CSI Congregations in Trivandrum city.