Travel & Tourism
Kerala, also known as "God's Own Country," has a rich history of tourism that dates back to the 1960s. Here's a brief overview of the history of travel and tourism in Kerala:
1960s: The first modern hotel in Kerala, the Hotel Travancore, opened in Thiruvananthapuram in 1963, marking the beginning of modern tourism in the state. This was followed by the establishment of several other hotels and resorts in the state.
1970s: In the 1970s, the government of Kerala began promoting tourism as a means of economic development. The state government established the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) in 1976 to promote tourism in the state. The government also started promoting eco-tourism and cultural tourism to attract more visitors to the state.
1980s: The 1980s saw a significant increase in the number of tourists visiting Kerala. The state government launched several initiatives to promote tourism, including the development of backwater tourism, beach tourism, and hill station tourism. The government also started promoting Ayurvedic tourism to promote the traditional Indian system of medicine.
1990s: In the 1990s, Kerala became a popular destination for international tourists. The state government launched several initiatives to promote tourism, including the establishment of the Kerala Tourism Infrastructure Development Corporation (KTIDC) to develop tourism infrastructure in the state.
2000s: In the 2000s, Kerala became a major player in the global tourism market. The state government launched several initiatives to promote tourism, including the "Responsible Tourism" initiative, which aimed to promote sustainable tourism practices in the state.
Today, tourism is one of the most important industries in Kerala, contributing significantly to the state's economy. The state continues to promote sustainable tourism practices and has won several awards for its efforts to promote responsible tourism. Kerala's natural beauty, cultural heritage, and diverse attractions continue to attract tourists from around the world.
Web directory of Travel & Tourism in Kerala : Budget and Luxury Hotels & Resorts in Munnar, Kochi, Alleppey, Kumarakom, Wayanad etc, Tour operators, air, bus, taxi ticket booking, famous destinations, travel agencies, house boats, backwater tourism, hill stations, snake boats & boat races, travel vlogs, theme parts etc.
- Air Travel Directory of major Kerala Airports and Airlines
- Boating Directory of Boating related Information and Website links to various Boat tour operators
- Resorts List of Tourist Resorts in Kerala like Ayurvedic resorts, Hill resorts, Backwater resorts, Forest Resorts, Cultural Resorts etc.
- Tours Web Directory of Tours, Tour Operators and Travelogues from Kerala
- Hotels Web directory of major hotels in various districts of Kerala and brief info
- Destinations Directory of tourist destinations in Kerala like Alappuzha, Ernakulam, Munnar, Thiruvananthapuram, Thekkady, Periyar and many more.
- Railway Web Directory of websites links and brief information about different rail websites
- Restaurants List of Restaurants in major Towns and Cities of Kerala.