Kalkkunnel Mor Geevarghese Sahado church, Kottappady
Kalkkunnel Mor Geevarghese Sahado church at Kottappady near Kothamangalam, is situated in the Angamali diocese. It was in the year 1908, the Jacobite Syrian Christian congregation started a worshipping centre here for the first time.
The church building was completed about a decade later and was consecrated by the late Malankara Metropolitan Mor Athanasius Paulose (Valiya Thirumeni of Alwaye) on 23rd October 1923. As there existed only a big stone Cross in the site for a very long time, the church came to be known as 'Kalkkuriz Pally' (Stone-cross church). In 1952, the church building was renovated again, and was consecrated by Valiya Thirumeni, assisted by Metropolitans Mor Gregorios (Vayaliparambil, then assistant bishop of Angamali diocese) and Mor Severious (Kochi diocese).
While the main 'thronos' (altar) of the church is dedicated to Mor Geevarghese Sahado (St. George), the altars on either sides are in the names of St. Mary the Mother of God and St. John the Baptist. The Holy relics of Patriarch St. Ignatius Elias III was established in the church a few years back. The main festivals celebrated in the church are its foundation day on 10 November, the feast of Mor Geevarghese Sahado on 23 April and the feast of St. Ignatius Elias III on 13 February.
Web : http://www.syrianchurch.org/ch/Kalkkunnel.htm