Automobile manufacturing has been an important industry in India, with many major automobile manufacturers having a presence in the country. Kerala, being a state in India, has been a significant market for automobile manufacturers. Here is a brief overview of the history of automobile manufacturing in India and some of the top manufacturers in the country.
History of Automobile Manufacturing in India:
The first automobile in India was manufactured in 1897, but it wasn't until the 1950s that the Indian government began promoting the development of the automobile industry in the country. The government provided incentives and support for automobile manufacturers to establish production facilities in the country, which led to the growth of the automobile industry in India.
Top Automobile Manufacturers in India:
Maruti Suzuki: Maruti Suzuki is the largest automobile manufacturer in India, with a market share of over 50%. The company was established in 1981 as a joint venture between the Indian government and Suzuki Motor Corporation of Japan. Maruti Suzuki has a wide range of vehicles, from hatchbacks to SUVs, and has a strong presence in the Indian market.
Tata Motors: Tata Motors is a leading automobile manufacturer in India that produces a range of vehicles, including passenger cars, commercial vehicles, and electric vehicles. The company was established in 1945 and has a strong presence in the Indian market as well as international markets.
Mahindra & Mahindra: Mahindra & Mahindra is a major automobile manufacturer in India that produces a range of vehicles, including SUVs, electric vehicles, and commercial vehicles. The company was established in 1945 and has a strong presence in the Indian market as well as international markets.
Hyundai Motors: Hyundai Motors is a leading automobile manufacturer in India that produces a range of vehicles, including hatchbacks, sedans, and SUVs. The company was established in 1996 and has a strong presence in the Indian market as well as international markets.
Honda Cars India: Honda Cars India is a major automobile manufacturer in India that produces a range of vehicles, including sedans, hatchbacks, and SUVs. The company was established in 1995 and has a strong presence in the Indian market as well as international markets.
These are just a few examples of the top automobile manufacturers in India. The automobile industry in India is constantly growing and evolving, with new players entering the market regularly.
Website links to the various manufacturers in automobiles in India. Brief information about these manufacturers are also available.
- Toyota Bharat : As a joint venture between Kirloskar Group and Toyota Motor Corporation, Toyota Kirloskar Motor Private Limited (TKM) aims to play a major role in the development of the automotive industry
- Ashok Leyland Limited : India's second largest commercial vehicle manufacturer. Product range covers trucks, buses, industrial and marine engines and ferrous castings.
- Maruti Udyog Limited : Maruti Udyog Limited (MUL) was established in Feb 1981 through an Act of Parliament, as a Government company with Suzuki Motor Corporation of Japan holding 26 per cent stake.
- Rolex Impex Co. : Rolex Impex Co, is a market leader, a respected name in the field exports of multiple INDIAN origin products
- Hyundai Motor India : Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Company, South Korea and is the second largest and the fastest growing car manufacturer in India.
- Honda Car India : Honda Siel Cars India Ltd., (HSCI) was incorporated as a joint venture between Honda Motor Co. Ltd., Japan and Siel Limited, a Siddharth Shriram Group company
- Bajaj Auto Ltd : Bajaj Auto continue to firmly believe in providing the customer Value for money
- Royal Enfield : Royal Enfield - A unique motorcyling experience awaits you, so drop in and test ride a Royal Enfield today
- Tata Motors : Tata Motors Limited is India's largest automobile company, with revenues of Rs. 24,000 crores (USD 5.5 billion) in 2005-06.
- Mahindra : The Mahindra Group is a US $4 billion* conglomerate is a leading manufacturer of multi-utility vehicles and tractors with significant presence in key sectors like infrastructure, information technology and financial services.