The history of hospitals in Kerala can be traced back to ancient times when traditional forms of medicine, such as Ayurveda, were practiced. Here's a brief overview of the history of hospitals in Kerala:
Ancient hospitals: Kerala had a long tradition of healing and healthcare, with the earliest records of hospitals dating back to around 700 BC. These hospitals were often attached to temples and were run by the local community, with practitioners of Ayurvedic medicine providing treatment to patients.
Colonial era: With the arrival of the Portuguese, Dutch, and British in Kerala, Western medicine began to be introduced to the state. The first Western-style hospital in Kerala, the Trivandrum Medical College Hospital, was established in 1839.
Post-Independence: After India gained independence in 1947, the government of Kerala took steps to improve healthcare in the state. This included the establishment of several hospitals and medical colleges, such as the Medical College Hospital in Kozhikode.
Public and private hospitals: Today, Kerala has a mix of public and private hospitals, with the government running several hospitals and healthcare facilities across the state. Private hospitals have also flourished in recent years, with many of them offering world-class healthcare facilities and services.
Technological advancements: Kerala has been at the forefront of technological advancements in healthcare, with several hospitals in the state adopting modern technologies and treatments. This includes the use of telemedicine, robotic surgery, and other advanced medical technologies.
The history of hospitals in Kerala reflects the state's commitment to providing high-quality healthcare to its people, while also preserving and promoting traditional forms of medicine.
Hospitals Directory from all the 14 districts of Kerala. All the major hospitals like Medical Trust Hospital, Sree Chithira Thirunal hospital, Lake shore hospitals and much more.
Caritas Hospital, Marian Medical Centre, Indo-American Hospital, Mangalam Hospitals, Metropolitan Hospital, Aswini Hospital, Malabar Institute of Medical Sciences, Various Medical College Hospitals, Govt Hospitals and other Multi Specialty Hospitals in Kerala are listed here.
- Thiruvananthapuram Hospitals Hospitals in Thiruvananthapuram District.
- Kollam Hospitals Hospitals in Kollam District of Kerala.
- Pathanamthitta Hospitals List of all hospitals in Pathanamthitta district
- Alapuzha Hospitals Hospitals in Alapuzha district of Kerala
- Kottayam Hospitals Kottayam Hospitals List and information
- Ernakulam Hospitals List of Hospitals in Ernakulam District of Kerala.
- Thrissur Hospitals Web Directory of Thrissur Hospitals websites and brief information
- Idduki Hospitals List of Idukki Hospitals and brief information about these hospitals
- Palakkad Hospitals Hospitals in Palakkad District of Kerala and their website links
- Malappuram Hospitals Brief Information and website links to hospitals in Malappuram district.
- Kozhikkode Hospitals List of hospitals in Kozhikkode district of Kerala
- Wayanad Hospitals List of hospitals in the Wayanad district of Kerala
- Kannur Hospitals Listing of all hospitals in Kannur district of Kerala
- Kasargod Hospitals Web Directory of hospitals in Kasargod district of Kerala