RTO No Objection Certificate and Vehicle Re-registration

When you shift your vehicle to another state you will have to follow some procedure for a hassle free driving in the new state. For example when you move a vehicle registered in Kerala RTO and move to any other state like Tamil Nadu or Karnataka then you have to follow the RTO rules.

If you are planning to stay in the new place for less than 3 months then you don't have to do anything. As per RTO rules it is considered as a visit. If you are going to stay for more than 3 months and less than one year then you have to pay a nominal Tax amount in the new state. But RTO officers will not accept tax for other state vehicle. They will ask for change of address and re-registration.

As per rules if you are planning to stay in the new place for more than one year you have to apply for change of address and re-registration. To apply for the change of address you have to get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the home state RTO where the vehicle is registered.

How to Get a NOC

To apply for a No Objection Certificate you need following documents

1. Four copies of Form 28 with Chasis number pencil print and one court fee stamp of Rs 4.

2. Police clearance certificate from the local police station

3. No Objection Letter from the financier if it is under hire purchase

4. Original RC Book

5. Insurance Certificate

With all the above documents you have to apply in the RTO office where the vehicle is registered. It will take few days for them to prepare a NOC. If you go through an agent you may get it fast but they will charge you at least Rs1200/-. If you have time then it is better to go directly.

Change of Address and Re-registration

After getting NOC you have to apply for change of address and re-registration in the new state with following documents

1. No Objection Certificate from the original RTO

2. Police clearance certificate (In Tamil Nadu it is Crime Record Beuro or CRB) stating that this vehicle is not a stolen one

3. Consent from the Financier if it is hypothecated under a hire purchase

4. 2 photos

5. Tax Certificate

6. RC Book

7. Pollution Under Control Certificate

8. Insurance Certificate

9. Form 33 - Intimation of Change of Address for recording in the certificate of registration and office records

10. Form 29 - Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a motor vehicle

11. Form 30 - Application for intimation and transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle You have to apply for a change of address and re-registration with above documents and pay the life time tax in the new state. It will take 2-3 months to get the new registration number. After that you can apply for a refund in tax in the old RTO.